Tuesday, March 22, 2016

1st Grade China Exploration

The 1st graders are investigating China, sooooo I extended their learning in art class. I was trying to find projects that helped to me teach concepts,  not too crafty. I am so excited about the outcomes. These kiddos really put their first graderness aside to have some serious learning time.

So we began with the Terra Cotta Warriors. We watched several videos and read some books and talked about what features they needed to include to make sure their audience would know what it was they were looking at without being confused. I was a bit nervous about this project because we just got our kiln this year, so this is the kids first experience with clay. So they practiced the techniques with play dough first, so that when they came in the following week they already knew what to do.I am in love with the one with the GIANT feet!




We followed the Terra Cotta Warriors with  these organic shaped Cherry Blossom tree branches with a printed chop. We used India ink for the branches and allowed them to dry for a little while they made their chop. The chop was a small piece of styrofoam with a red waterbased maker. To be honest, I think that red tempra would have worked better, but too many materials with this group makes my eye twitch! They finished up with  oil pastel blossoms.


The final project of their China investigation is these Ming vases. The students learned about tints with this project. After brain storming ideas  about what to include on their vases.  We talked about brush control and letting some areas dry before adding details. After they dried, the students added the shadows and glued them to the background. 

No comments:

Post a Comment