So I've decided to share this lesson, because several people asked me about it. Of course I did not invent it. The title if this post pretty much sums it all up. Several years ago I saw something similar to this at my local library and I was in love, INSTANTLY! So about a year later, I was watching a TED talk by Austin Kleon austinkleon.com and I was so excited to introduce it to my seventh graders. I must admit that last year when I introduced it, it was sort of a one fay filler project. The results were mixed to say the least. So this year I put more effort into preparing the lesson, and having the kids plan out their work. I introduced it with the Ted talk, which of course piques their interest with the title, then we looked at Tom Phillips website, BUT,,,,,, this time when I handed them their pages to work on, I gave them 3 EXTRA COPIES! Drop the mic! That made all the difference. The students now had an opportunity to make a couple of rough drafts with their art, and pick their favorite to remake neat and clean for their final copy. I think everyone was really happy with the results this time.

No comments:
Post a Comment